Freedom was always a state created illusion, today its everyone’s responsibility to make it a Reality!”
The more regulations implemented, the less freedoms there are in society. At this moment, what used to be a “free world” on paper or illusions, has turned to openly tyrannical dictatorship. Without privacy there is no Democracy. EU Commissionaires are turning Europe to mass-surveillance state.
ChatControl legislation will have an effect on all online activities. Including platforms that are currently protecting our privacy and identity. Everyone has heard about the Pegasus Project and NSO scandal. While Pegasus was injected to specific devices of the targeted person, EU’s ChatControl legislation, has no limit, everyone is becoming a target, regardless if they are suspected of any crime or not.
The new German “to be government” opposes ChatControl and abolishment online anonymity. A good news, unfortunately they alone cannot stop it, would they even stop it? Many other member states are supporting placing citizens under mass-surveillance and control. The most abusive legislation is adopted, without any media coverage and in secrecy.
Resistance haven’t been ever as important than it is today. We cannot afford to lose the war, the states inflicted assault, to demolish our freedom and rights! Resist ChatControl, save our privacy!
Short Description of ChatControl what it does and what you can do against it
ChatControl (e-Derogation) Legislation was adopted by the European Union (EU) Parliament on July 6th.
What it is and how it affects you?
Under the new legislation it allows internet service providers to use AI based scanning of your network, services and applications.
- Social Media platforms and chats
- Private text messages (unless end-to-end encrypted (e2ee))
- ChatControl Legislation is at the present VOLUNTARY, depending on service providers own Privacy Policies.
A new ChatControl 2.0 Legislation first draft is published between the December 2021 or first quarter in 2022 by the EU Commission.
What changes from the previous legislation?
If ChatControl 2.0 is adopted to law, it makes it MANDATORY for service providers to record your online activities in real time. It will end e2ee and demolish privacy from all your communication including in:
- Telegram private channels and chats, in Signal, Wire, Wickr, WhatApp…
- E-mails, including Proton and Tutanota
- Encrypted data in computers
- Installing Backdoor to your devices
- Skype, Microsoft Teams, Google meet and Zoom meetings are monitored and recorded in REAL TIME
- ChatControl 2.0 is moving the EU member states under mass-surveillance, where the state knows more about your private life and thoughts, than your parents, spouse, girl/boyfriends and/or best friends will do.
It will not only affect the people living inside EU borders, it scans all incoming internet traffic from all over the world.
WHY you should care about this?
First, Privacy is a Human Rights, defined in UN Universal Declaration of Fundamental Human Rights (UDHR), Article 12.
Second, intrusion to one’s privacy has a direct consequence on UDHR Article 19, that grants us freedom of expression and opinion.
Third, According to European Court of Justice:
European Court of Justice, the permanent and general automatic analysis of private communications violates fundamental rights (case C-511/18, Paragraph 192)”
Article 12 No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.“
Article 19 Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.”
WHY ChatControl was introduced?
Originally, the UN called for the EU for better protection of children from sexual abuse in online. Many paedophiles are using online groups and rooms to approach children and teenagers. So far, the social media platforms like Meta/Facebook, Twitter and others have done very little to remove the child predators from their platforms. The study shows that AI based tools like ChatControl are not effective and have over 80% error rate, flagging innocent citizens as suspects, in the worst case their access to internet is blocked until proven innocent. AI based Mass surveillance isn’t justifiable intruding privacy of +500 million citizens communication. Only below 5% of the world population is a paedophile.
What ChatControl is in reality?
While ineffective in protecting children from sexual abuse, it offers a legalized spyware to the Governments, to eve drop, monitor and regulate any form of differing opinions, dissidence and critic against the establishment. Contrary to protecting children It places human lives in danger.
- YOU, as a private citizen becoming a suspect of non-existing crime
- Children who are sexual abuse victims (loss of confidentiality and access to remedies)
- Women who are sexual abuse victims (loss of confidentiality and access to remedies)
- Human Rights defenders
- Climate & Environmental Activists
- Civil Society and Rights Activists and groups
- Journalistic sources
- Whistle blowers
What are the dangers of EU’s legislative powers over national laws?
First, EU Commission is not formed from democratically elected Commissioners by 500 million EU citizens. Second, EU Laws are superseding national laws. Third, Citizens have no direct voice or choice to influence on EU’s legislations and power to implement them. Fourth, EU Commission is not hold into account directly by the citizens
Solution: A non-political direct democracy, people power, which isn’t influenced by the current people in power, or any political party.
WHAT can you do?
DIRECT ACTIONS for resistance
- Virtual Protests
- Street Protests
- Street awareness. Print fliers and hand them over. Use streets as your “canvas”. Give speeches on city squares.
- Pickup a phone and call the EU Commissioners, email, and/or use their social media handles condemning their misuse of power. (See list here)
Following EU Commissioners are responsible for ChatControl legislation: Ylva Johansson, Ursula Von Der Leyen, Margrethe Vestager, Margaritis Schinas, Věra Jourová, Thierry Breton and Didier Reynders.
Twitter handles: @vestager @MargSchinas @VeraJourova @YlvaJohansson @dreynders @ThierryBreton
- Contact EU Parliamentarians (See list here)
- Contact your national Parliamentarians
- Contact your service providers to tell, you withdraw your contract with them if they spy you.
- File a case in National and International Courts. ECHR and UN Council of Human Rights
- Contact UN Special Rapporteur on Privacy, ask him to intervene on EU’s Human Rights abusive legislations, warranting violation of Universal Human Rights without a warrant.
- Social media actions, using hashtags: #ChatControl #PrivacyIsNotACrime
Other useful contacts:
EU Ombudsman Link to file a complain (EU citizens, cases within past 2 year’s)
Link to start petition on official EU Parliament petition site
UN Special Rapporteur on the right to privacy
Prof. Joe Cannataci
Special Rapporteur on the right to privacy
8-14 Avenue de la Paix
1211 Geneve 10,
Email: [email protected]
Fax: +41 22 917 90 06
(Confidential, all emails are read personally by Prof. Cannataci)
UN Council of Human Rights Complaint Procedure Unit
Human Rights Council Branch Office of the
United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights United Nations Office at Geneva
CH-1211 Geneva 10,
Switzerland Fax: (41 22) 917 90 11
E-mail: [email protected]